A short video of the recipe: https://youtu.be/URmatyT_OrM
Theplas are Gujarati Flat bread prepared by using wheat flour, fenugreek leaves and a few spices.
They can prepared in advance and can be used as travel food. They can be enjoyed with any pickle or chutney or curd alongwith hot tea. I had raw tomato chutney and Carrot-green chilli pickle to enjoy these with when I shot this video.
Ingredients:(for 12-14 theplas of approx 6″ dia)
Wheat flour- 1.5 cup
Fenugreek leaves- 1 cup( washed & finely chopped)
Curd – 1/2 cup(used in batches)
Ginger green chilli paste- 1 tsp
Rock Salt – to taste(Rock salt used in milk product based dishes as per ayurveda)
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder-1/4 tsp
Black pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
Roasted cumin powder-1/2 tsp
Oil-2 tbsp + for rosting theplas
– Knead a dough using all the ingredients listed above using curd in batches. The amount of curd to be used may vary as per its thickness.
– Coat the top of kneaded dough with a few drops of oil & let it rest for atleast 30 minutes.
– Now make balls of approximately 1.5″ diameter from the dough & roll out thin theplas of approx 6″ diameter.
– Roast the rolled out theplas in both sides on a hot iron griddle with or without using oil.
– Enjoy hot theplas with raw tomato chutney or carrot-green chilli pickle or any other condiment of your choice alongwith hot tea!
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’