Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Ganache is a smooth mixture of chocolate & cream, which can be used to drip on cakes & when whipped, it can be used to frost cakes, cupcakes, cookies or to even fill macarons.
- White chocolate ganache has an advantage over dark or milk chocolate ganache that it can be coloured to a desired colour.
- You simply need very few ingredients to prepare it- cream, butter and white chocolate.
- The ratio of white chocolate to cream is very important here. For making ganache, you need 3:1 ratio by volume of white chocolate : cream.
- Always use compound white chocolate for the recipe.
- Always grate your chocolate or cut it into small pieces.
- Heat plays a very important role in preparing ganache. Always use double boiler to heat the cream, pour hot cream over grated chocolate, let it sit for few minutes, and finally mix these to get ganache.
- The base of the container having cream in double boiler should not touch the boiling water.
- Make sure not to boil the cream, you just need hot cream and not boiling cream.
- If your chocolate does not melt fully with hot cream, then you may microwave the mix for 10 seconds each time, till all the chocolate melts completely. Keep on stirring every time.
- Be careful not to overheat your mix, as it may cause split in your chocolate resulting in grainy ganache.
- Add butter to get that sheen in your ganache.
- You may add desired food colour to ganache or you may use it as it is. I have added yellow food colour to my ganache as I had prepared Flower Cascade Pineapple drip Cake with it.
- Bring ganache to room temperature and use it over chilled cake.
- Ganache thickens as it cools down & visa versa. So if it is too runny, just chill it for a few minutes in refrigerator to get the perfect drip consistency and if it is too thick, then microwave it for 5 seconds or so.
- You may use a plastic bottle having small hole or use a round tip nozzle or simply a spoon to pour the ganache drip over your cake. Just make sure to stay a little away from the periphery of your cake while pouring the ganache, so as to make perfect drips.
- Use offset spatula to spread the ganache over the top of cake by turning the turntable.
- You can even whip it to use it as a frosting for your cakes, cupcakes & cookies or to fill your macarons.
- You may store the leftover ganache in air tight container in refrigerator for upto 3 weeks and use it as & when required by heating it in microwave with a burst of 10 secs each time till you get the desired consistency.
- This recipe prepares 1/2 cup ganache as I used it to cover half of my 8 inch cake surface. In case you need to cover the whole of the top, you would need double the amount.
Ingredients:(for 1/2 cup ganache, to cover half surface of 8 inch cake)
- Low fat cream – 1/8 cup
- Compound White chocolate – 3/8 cup
- Butter – 1/2 tsp
- Food colour – yellow (for pineapple cake)
- Grate the chocolate into a bowl.
- Heat the cream over a double boiler.
- Pour the hot cream over the grated chocolate and let it sit as it is for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, mix these together to melt all the chocolate. In case, few chocolate pieces don’t melt, then microwave the mix for 10 seconds each time till the chocolate melts completely.
- Now add butter to the mix and finally add the desired food colour.
- Your ganache is ready to pour over you cake.
- Make sure that the ganache is at room temperature & your cake is chilled, before you pour ganache over your cake.
- Use a plastic bottle with a small hole or a round tip nozzle or simply a spoon to drip ganache over cake.
- Cover the top surface of cake with ganache using an offset spatula & turning the turntable.
- You may store the leftover ganache in refrigerator in air tight container for upto 3 weeks and use it by heating it a bit in microwave with a burst of 10 secs each time till you get the desired consistency.
- Enjoy icing!!
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’