Few things to keep in mind to get perfection:
- A perfect whipped cream frosting is light, fluffy and holds its shape well.
- Generally, it is prepared by using heavy dairy cream(containing atleast 30 to 35% fat content), icing sugar(which contains cornstarch which is a must to stabilize the whipped cream, do not use powdered sugar) and some flavour like vanilla, orange, pineapple, butterscotch, cocoa powder etc. To stabilize the cream further, you may add 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar to each cup of heavy dairy cream alongwith icing sugar.
- Low fat cream like Amul fresh cream can never ever be whipped to stiff peaks. It can only serve the purpose of cooking cream as toppings in many dishes or for making ganache or ice creams(mango ice cream) etc.
- The best alternative to heavy cream, in case of unavailability, is Non-Dairy cream.
- Non-daiy cream is available in both brick(semi solid) form and in powdered form or https://amzn.to/3fK3LoR. It already contains sugar, so you need not add sweetener while whipping it.
- You will have to keep the brick one, available in tetra packs, in freezer all the time until you whip it. Before whipping, it’s shelf life is 8 to 12 months as mentioned on tetra pack. The moment you have whipped it, you need to consume it within 2 days.
- Just slice out the portion of non-dairy cream brick you need to whip and keep the rest back in freezer after covering its top with cling film or aluminium foil.
- Now place the sliced portion in fridge overnight, so as to melt 80% of the ice crystals. 20% ice crystals will melt while beating the cream, helping to keep the cream cold during whipping process.
- I have used non-dairy whipping cream powder or https://amzn.to/3fK3LoR (bakers whip brand available on amazon) in this recipe. It has a much higher shelf life as compared to non dairy cream available in tetrapacks. Also, the powdered form can be stored at room temperature unlike the tetrapack one.
- While whipping the powdered form of non dairy cream or https://amzn.to/3fK3LoR, you need to add chilled milk or water to it in ratio of 5:7 (milk:cream powder) with some milk powder(2 tbsp of milk powder for each cup of whipping cream powder). No need to add sugar, as it already contains sugar. Just mix these three and keep in refrigerator alongwith the whisk attachments for few hours before whipping them.
- Steel mixing bowl is the best for whipping. Both the mixing bowl and the whisk attachments should be chilled beforehand to help in quick and perfect whipping.
- The cream will double up in volume after whipping, so take a bowl atleast 3 times the volume of the non whipped material taken.
- You may use an ice bath below the mixing bowl depending on the ambient temperature. In countries like India, it is advisable to whip the cream in an AC room.
- Whip the cream on low speed initially for 2-3 minutes and then on high speed. You will get soft peak after 5 minutes of whipping and stiff peaks in total of 8-10 minutes of whipping.
- Do not whip for more than 8-10 minutes as after that the cream will again start loosing its stiff peaks.
- The best way to check for the perfectness of stiff peaks is to hold the bowl upside down. If the cream does not move or fall down, it means it’s perfectly done. Else, whip it more.
- The flavours can be added after you get the soft peaks in your cream.
- Food colours (https://amzn.to/3fR4AMY) can be mixed lightly using a spatula after stiff peaks have been achieved.
- This recipe prepares whipped cream good enough to frost a tripple layered 8 inch cake(flower cascade with white chocolate ganache pineapple cake) or two dozen cupcakes.
- The whipped cream can be kept in air tight container in refrigerator for upto a max. of 48 hours. It is best to use it same day. The next day, if the cream has lost some of its stiffness, you may again whip it for a few minutes to get stiff peaks.
Ingredients:(for frosting tripple layered 8 inch cake or 2 dozen cupcakes)
- Non dairy Whipping cream powder or https://amzn.to/3fK3LoR – 2.25 cup
- Chilled Milk – 1 cup 10 tbsp
- Milk powder – 4 tbsp
- Pineapple juice – 1 tbsp
- Take cream powder, milk powder and chilled milk in a very big steel bowl. Chill all of these in refrigerator for few hours along with the whisk attachments.
- Take out the chilled bowl having all the ingredients. Place it over an ice bath depending on the ambient temperature. Whip it using an electric beater at low speed initially for 2-3 minutes.
- After that whip on high speed. After a total of 5 minutes of whipping, you will get soft peaks in your cream.
- Now add the pineapple juice or any other essence like vanilla essence or butterscotch or orange essence or cocoa powder etc.
- Keep on whipping for another 3-5 minutes till you get stiff peaks. In a total of 8-10 minutes, you will get stiff peaks.
- Do not over whip now. Check for the doneness by rotating the bowl upside down, if the whipped cream does not move at all, it means it is perfectly whipped to stiff peaks, else whip more.
- You may add food colourings (https://amzn.to/3fR4AMY) by mixing lightly using a spatula.
- You may store it in air tight container in refrigerator for upto a max. of 48 hours.
- Enjoy frosting your recipes!
‘Cooking for or loved ones with love!’