Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Condensed milk is basically sweetened reduced milk.
- It is used in a number of desserts like halwa, ice creams(Mango Ice Cream), cookies, cakes(Choco-vanilla cake), cupcakes etc. It can even be used as topping for pancakes, french toast etc.
- There are 2 methods of preparing condensed milk at home- one by cooking and another one is no-cook method.
- In cooking method, take milk & sugar in 5:1 ratio. Boil the milk first, then add sugar with a pinch of baking soda to it, switch the flame to low & let it simmer for 30-35 minutes till it gets reduced to half of its original quantity. Keep on stirring continuously. Let it cool down to room temperature and your condensed milk is ready.
- Now since the cooking method is more time consuming and needs a lot of hardwork, I generally follow the no-cook recipe, which takes only a minute of preparation time.
- As it is a no-cook recipe, your kids can easily prepare it.
- This recipe prepares 1.5 cup of condensed milk which is equivalent to 1 tin(400 g) of store bought condensed milk.
Ingredients: (for 1.5 cup condensed milk)
- Milk Powder – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2/3 cup
- Butter(salted) – 1/4 cup
- Hot water – 1/2 cup
- In a blender, blend milk powder and sugar first.
- Now add hot water along with butter to the blended milk powder-sugar mix and blend these well.
- Keep scrapping off the sides of the blender to make sure that all the dry ingredients get nicely blended with the wet ones.
- Let it cool down to room temperature before using it in your recipes(Choco-vanilla cake).
- It can be stored in an airtight sterilized glass jar in refrigerator for future use.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’