Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Make sure that all the ingredients including drinking soda, used in the recipe, are at room temperature.
- Measure all the ingredients in measuring cups & spoons levelled to the brim, neither more nor less, just the exact quantity as is there in the recipe.
- Whisk the wet ingredients very well using hand whisk or electric whisk for 5 minutes to incorporate air inside the wet mix.
- Dry ingredients are then mixed with the wet ingredients lightly using cut & fold mixing technique. Do not over mix at this stage as overmixing will activate gluten in the batter which will ruin the recipe. .
- Pour the prepared batter in a greased baking dish. To know how to grease a baking dish, you may refer to my video of Eggless Basbousa cake.
- I generally use borosil containers for baking as they are the healthiest ones to bake into.
- Always preheat the oven as well as the empty greased baking dish before putting in the cake batter to bake.
- Let the baked cake rest for 15-20 mins inside the oven. Then demould it and place it over a wire rack till it cools down to room temperature before cutting it.
- I have used 50% maida & 50% whole wheat flour in this recipe. You may experiment with different percentage of both the ingredients like 100% maida or 100% wheat flour or 25% maida-75% wheat flour and so on. Just take care of the final consistency of the batter as shown in the recipe video. The consistency can be modified using more or less of drinking soda.
- Condensed milk for the recipe can be easily prepared at home within a minute. I have already posted Condensed milk recipe.
- You may replace butter in the recipe with 3/8 cup of any neutral flavoured oil.
- This recipe is lightly sweetened. You may add 1/3 cup sugar in case you prefer to have very sweet cakes.
- You may even add tutti frutti, chopped nuts or dried berries of your choice to the batter.
- Whole wheat flour – 3/4 cup
- Maida – 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Condensed milk – 1.5 cup (or 1 tin)
- Drinking Soda – 2/3 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Take butter and condensed milk in a mixing bowl & whisk these together for 5 minutes to incorporate air inside the mix. It will turn light coloured and fluffy. This is your wet mix.
- Sieve flour, baking powder & baking soda. Add these to the whisked wet mix.
- Mix the dry ingredients to the wet ones using cut & fold method. Also add vanilla essence & mix.
- Do not overmix at this stage as it will activate gluten in the mix thereby ruining the recipe.
- Finally add drinking soda to the batter just before pouring the batter to the greased baking dish. Mix it well using cut & fold method and immediately pour the batter to a preheated greased baking dish.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degree for 35-40 mins or you may first bake in microwave setting for 2 minutes on full power and then bake in convection mode at 180 degree for 30 minutes in your microwave till a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Always make sure to preheat the oven.
- Let the baked cake rest for 20-30 minutes inside the oven. Then demould it & let it cool down to room temperature over a wire rack before slicing it.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’