Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Tutti frutti is a sweet & colourful confectionery prepared from raw papaya or candied fruits or berries. It is used to prepare tutti frutti cakes,breads, buns, cookies, ice creams, custard, some drinks like mango lassi & so on.
- They are generally available in bright red, yellow & green colour. You may colour them to colours of your choice.
- The twist in this blog is the use of watermelon peels for making tutti frutti instead of raw papaya. Instead of throwing the watermelon peels, just use them to prepare tutti frutti.
- Also, when I am preparing something at home, I try to avoid a few ingredients and one of those is synthetic food colouring. So here, I have used homemade natural food colourings. You may use synthetic food colours as well.
- The recipe is pretty simple but takes a long time to dry out.
- All you have to do is boil the chopped cubes in boiling water till translucent, then cook them in sugar-water mix till single thread consistency of sugar syrup is reached, divide these into separate bowls, add different food colours to each along with sugar syrup, let them soak for 24 hrs, remove them from syrup, spread over a steel net for 5-6 hrs & finally dry them out in fan by spreading in separate plates.
- They can be stored in air tight containers or in zip-lock bags in refrigerator for months.
Ingredients: (yields 2 cups of tutti frutti)
- Watermelon peels – 3 cups
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Natural food colourings – 2 to 3 tsp each (or few drops of synthetic food colours)
- Take watermelon peels, remove the outer dark green covering & any inner red part as well and cut them to small cubes of 1/4″ size approximately.
- Boil enough water in a big pan and carefully add the watermelon peel cubes to it. Let them cook on high flame for 10 minutes till they become translucent. Drain them in a big colander and keep aside.
- Now take sugar with 4 cups of water in a big vessel & let it come to a boil. Then add the boiled watermelon peel cubes to this sugar mix and let it cook on high flame till single thread consistency of sugar syrup is reached. It took me 45 minutes to do so.
- Now divide these sweetened cubes into 4 separate bowls along with sugar syrup & add 2-3 tsp of homemade natural red, green, orange and yellow colour to these. You may even use a few drops of synthetic food colours. Let them soak for 24 hours. You may refrigerate them during the process.
- After 24 hours, remove the cubes from the syrup & spread them over a steel net having a plate beneath to drain off any excess of sugar syrup for another 5-6 hours in fan.
- Finally, spread these in separate plates and let them dry out completely in fan for another 12-18 hours till they are no longer sticky to touch.
- You may use these to prepare tutti frutti cakes, breads, buns, cookies, ice creams, custard, some drinks like mango lassi & the list is endless.
- Store them in air tight containers or zip-lock bags in refrigerator for months for future use.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’