Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Puff pastry is a delicate, light, flaky pastry prepared from dough made by using all purpose flour (maida) & butter. Puff pastries can be stuffed with either sweet or savoury fillings , cut & folded in countless different ways & then baked to enjoy.
- My kids never liked puff pastries available in the market but they literally love the ones prepared at home using the homemade puff pastry sheets!!
- The quality of the fat used in the store bought puff pastries makes a lot of difference to the taste & becomes a strong reason to make them at home only.
- The butter used in the recipe should be cold but pliable at the same time.
- I have used salted butter in the recipe. In case you are using unsalted one, then do add 1/2 tsp salt to the dough.
- Before adding water to the dough, just mix the butter into the maida very well till the butter-maida mix, when pressed in the middle of your palm, holds back its shape & does not crumble.
- The water used, for kneading the dough, should be ice cold. Do add lemon juice to the ice cold water as lemon helps in activating gluten inside the dough. Knead a soft dough for 5-6 minutes from maida & butter.
- Refrigerate the dough for few hours.
- The stuffing, prepared from butter & maida, should also be refrigerated for few hours before using it.
- The dough is stuffed with butter-maida mix, rolled to 16″ X 9″ sized sheet and then folded into 3-folds, as shown in the video. It is then kept in freezer for 40 mins, covered with a cling film. This is 1st fold.
- Make sure to roll the dough gently every time, taking care that the butter stuffed inside does not come out. In case, it does come out, then using dry flour cover that exposed part of the dough.
- The process of rolling, folding & freezing goes on for 6 times in all.
- Finally the dough is cut into three parts and each part can be further rolled into thin sheets of 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thickness, cut in desired shapes and size, stuffed with desired stuffings(sweet or savoury) & baked to get the puff pastries.
- Make sure that the puff pastry should be chilled and the oven should be hot, when they are put to be baked inside the oven as the moisture in the chilled butter & dough will quickly evaporate, thereby, puffing up the hundreds of layers of your puff pastry.
- The dough prepared can be stored, covered in cling film, in freezer for several weeks and used to prepare puff pastries after thawing it.
- All Purpose flour (Maida) – 2 cups
- Salted Butter – 4.5 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tbsp
- Ice cold water – 1/2 cup
- Salted butter – 1.5 cup
- All purpose flour (Maida) – 1/2 cup
- All the ingredients should be cold. Mix maida & butter together well till you get a breadcrumb like texture & when the mix is pressed in the middle of your palm, it holds back its shape.
- Now add ice cold water mixed with lemon juice to the dough in batches. Keep kneading the dough for 5-6 minutes to get a soft dough. Keep the dough in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- For stuffing, mix together 1.5 cup butter with 1/2 cup maida and keep it in refrigerator for a few hours.
- Now, roll the chilled dough big enough to stuff the whole butter stuffing in it.
- Using your fingers, spread the dough and finally using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a 16″ X 9″ sheet. Fold it in 3-folds, cover it in a cling film & freeze it for 40 minutes. This is 1st fold.
- Repeat the process of rolling, folding & freezing for 6 times in all.
- Finally cut the dough in 3 equal parts. Each part is further rolled to 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick sheet, cut in desired shapes & sizes, stuffed with desired stuffings(sweet or savoury) & baked to get the homemade puff pastries.
- The dough prepared can be stored for several weeks in the freezer, covered in a cling film.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’