Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Cream cheese is a rich, creamy, mild tasting cheese prepared from milk & cream, originated in England.
- Preparing cream cheese at home is super easy and is quite inexpensive too as compared to the store bought ones.
- Try to use full fat milk for the recipe. The cream cheese yield varies with the quality of milk used. I have used cow’s milk in this recipe.
- Make sure to wash the cottage cheese well, prepared from milk, in running water so as to remove lemony flavour from it.
- You may use either low fat or heavy cream as per availability. I have used low fat cream in this recipe.
- Make sure to blend the cottage cheese and cream well, till you get a silky smooth textured cream cheese.
- Give the blended cream cheese a good enough time to drain out any excess of moisture in it, before you use it in your recipes.
- You may use it in many sweet recipes like Cheesecakes, fillings for Puff Pastries, frostings for Red Velvet Cake, and so on. Just make it sweet by adding 1/2 cup icing sugar to the cream cheese you get from this recipe and you are good to go.
- This cream cheese can be baked too. I have used the sweetened version as fillings in my puff pastries as is clear from the cream cheese video I have shared in this blog.
- You may use the same cream cheese for your various cheesy dips & spreads. You just need to add a few herbs & spices of your choice along with salt to the cream cheese obtained from this recipe instead of icing sugar.
Ingredients: (yields 3/4 cup cream cheese)
- Milk – 1 litre
- Lemon juice – 4 tsp
- Cream (low fat/heavy) – 6 tbsp
- Bring milk to a boil, switch off the flame and add lemon juice to it. Mix it well and the milk will curdle. Now drain it in a cheese cloth placed over a big colander further placed over a container. Place a weight over it for 30 mins to allow any excess moisture to drain out completely. This is your cottage cheese.
- Take the cottage cheese along with cream in a blender and blend it well. Keep on blending till you get a silky smooth cream cheese.
- Now pour this blended cream cheese into a cheese cloth placed over a big colander and place a weight over it to drain out any moisture present in it completely. You may place this arrangement inside your refrigerator overnight.
- Only a few drops of water drained out of the cream cheese I prepared.
- Your cream cheese is ready to be used in various cheesy preparations of yours.
- You may beat 1/2 cup icing sugar into the prepared cream cheese to use it in sweet recipes like frostings for Red Velvet Cake, Cheese cakes, Fillings for Puff Pastries and so on.
- The video shared in this blog is of a sweet version of cream cheese as I prepared it for fillings of my puff pastries.
- You may add herbs & spices of your choice along with salt to the prepared cream cheese and use it as cheesy dips & spreads in your various recipes.
- The prepared cream cheese can be stored in air tight glass containers and kept in refrigerator for a week to 10 days.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’