Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Pancakes are flat & fluffy round shaped cakes, usually prepared from a starch based batter containing milk, butter & sugar along with a leavening agent (baking powder, baking soda) and cooked on a hot heavy bottomed pan or griddle on low flame with oil or butter.
- The most important thing while making pancakes is that you just need to pour a laddle full of batter on hot griddle, no need to spread it & cook it on low flame till golden brown on both sides.
- Mix the ingredients well to form a smooth & flowing consistency batter. Do not over mix it as you do not need to activate the gluten to make soft and fluffy pancakes.
- Make sure to use warm milk and all other ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Make sure to measure the exact quantities of ingredients, using measuring spoons & cups, levelled to the brim.
- I have used salted butter. In case you are using unsalted one, then make sure to add a pinch of salt to your batter.
- I have used healthier desi khand which is lighter in sweetness. You may replace it with normal sugar or even jaggery. Adjust the sweetenss as per your taste.
- The pancake batter is always lightly sweetened as we pour some sweet syrups on the top of prepared pancakes which will balance out the sweetness.
- I have prepared mango pancake by adding mango puree to the batter. You may replace mango puree with any other seasonal fruit puree like strawberry, banana and so on- the list is endless.
- You may pour syrups of your choice over the pancakes like maple syrup or nutella or chocolate syrup or some fresh fruit syrup etc.
- You may even have some sliced pistachios or any other dry fruit of your choice with these pancakes.
- Enjoy the hot & healthy whole wheat mango pancakes with chopped mango pieces, honey & chopped pistachios!
Ingredients: (12 pancakes 3.5″ dia approx.)
- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Desi khand – 1/4 cup
- Salted butter – 1.5 tbsp
- Mango puree – 1 cup
- Warm Milk – 1.5 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp (to be poured on top of a stack of 4-5 pancakes)
- Chopped Mango pieces – a few
- Whisk desi khand & butter together till it becomes fluffy & light in colour. Then add mango puree and whisk it well. This is your wet mix.
- Now add wheat flour, baking soda & baking powder to the wet mix. Add warm milk to the batter in batches to prepare a smooth & flowing consistency batter. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
- Prepare an iron griddle to make it non-stick. For this, heat the griddle, spread 1 tsp desi ghee all over its top and let it heat on high flame for a minute or two. Switch off the flame and wipe off the excess ghee using a tissue. Your griddle is ready.
- Heat the ready griddle & switch the flame to low. Pour a laddle full of batter over the hot griddle & let it cook on low flame using a few drops of oil. No need to spread the batter.
- Flip the pancake when bubbles appear on the uncooked side & the sides of the pancake dry up a bit.
- Cook both the sides on low flame till golden brown using a few drops of oil. Pancake is ready!
- For plating, stack 4-5 prepared pancakes over a plate, pour 1 tbsp of honey over it and enjoy them with chopped mango cubes & pistachios.
- You may even replace honey with some chocolate syrup or nutella.
- Enjoy the hot & healthy whole wheat mango pancakes with your family!
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’