- Pasta Aglio e Olio is a simple traditional Italian Pasta dish prepared by lightly sauteeing chopped garlic to a perfect golden brown colour with red chilli flakes in olive oil and tossing in al-dente cooked pasta along with chopped parsley & parmesan cheese.
- It is a simple, quick yet tasty recipe of pasta. In case you are bored of red, white or pink pasta or you are falling short of many ingredients of pasta that you generally prepare, then this is the recipe meant for you.
- This recipe is a perfect example of getting more taste using the least of your ingredients.
- As I am generally cooking for my kids, I tend to add as many veggies to my dishes as possible. You may avoid adding the veggies.
- In case you add broccoli, do blanch it before adding to the recipe. For that, you need to put the washed broccoli into salty boiling hot water for few minutes. Then remove it from hot water and immediately dump it in ice cold water to maintain its crunch and green colour.
- You may use any cheese available with you in case parmesan cheese is not available.
- Make sure to reserve water in which pasta is boiled. Adding this pasta water while preparing any kind of pasta really makes a lot of difference to the taste.
- Being a kid friendly recipe, I have tried to keep the chillies to a minimal amount. You may increase or decrease the quantities as per your taste.
Ingredients: (3-4 servings)
- Pasta – 2 cups
- Garlic – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Pasta water (water left after boiling pasta) – 1/2 cup
- Mixed herb seasoning (https://amzn.to/3jlRb1r) – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli flakes – 1/8 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp (for boiling pasta) + to taste (for the dish)
- Vegetables (blanched broccoli, bell pepper, capsicum) – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Spring onion greens – of 1 onion
- Parmesan Cheese – 1/4 cup (grated)
- Boil enough water in a big vessel along with 2 tsp salt. Add pasta to the boiling water and cook it till al-dente i.e. cooked till it is neither too hard nor too soft but firm enough to bite and is a bit chewy. The edges of the pasta will become whitish when cooked until al-dente.
- It took me 10 minutes to boil it until al-dente on medium flame. Strain it, keeping 1/2 cup of pasta water in reserve to be used later. Run it through cold water, pour 1/2 tbsp olive oil over it & keep it aside.
- In another pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and saute chopped garlic to a perfect golden brown colour. It should neither be light nor too dark in colour.
- Add mixed herb seasoning (https://amzn.to/3jlRb1r), red chilli flakes, salt, black pepper powder with blanched broccoli and let these cook covered on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Then add chopped bell pepper and capsicum and let these cook covered on low flame for another minute.
- Now add the reserved pasta water with boiled pasta to the cooking vessel, mix everything well and let it cook for a minute on high flame.
- Finally add grated cheese, spring onion greens and 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
- Enjoy it hot!
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’