Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Momos or steamed dumplings are typically served with a very spicy & deep red coloured chutney which enhance the taste of the momos to another level.
- It is basically a tomato, onion, ginger, garlic and and dry red chilli based condiment prepared by adding soy sauce, vinegar, salt & sugar.
- I have added 4 dry red chillies after removing their seeds to reduce the heat to make it enjoyable for my kids. You may add more if you want to have a spicier one.
- It can be prepared in many ways. One version is just a smooth blend of blanched tomato, onion, red chillies, ginger and garlic along with vinegar,salt, sugar and soy sauce to get the momo chutney. Another version has sauteed ginger, garlic, onion and blanched-blended tomato-red chilli paste added to it and sauteed with salt, sugar and vinegar to get a medium thick chutney. Since I like the chunkier chutney, so I have followed the second version in this blog. You may even roast your tomatoes instead of blanching them to get a smokey flavoured momo chutney.
- I have replaced vinegar with tamarind paste. You may use any of the two.
- You may alter the quantity of sugar as per the tanginess of your tomatoes.
- Dry red chillies – 4 to 5 (desseded)
- Tomato – 2 (medium)
- Onion – 1 (medium, finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
- Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup(to blanch tomato,chillies) + 1/4 cup (to cook the sauce)
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Tamarind – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1/2 tsp
- Boil 1/2 cup water and blanch tomato, onion and de-seeded chillies in boiling water. Let them cool down and then blend these to a smooth paste.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 30 mins and then mash and strain it to get tamarind paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute ginger, garlic and then add blanched blended tomato-chilli paste to it along with 1/4 cup water and saute it for few minutes to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt, sugar and tamarind paste, mix well and switch off the flame. Let it cool down before serving.
- You may adjust the quantities of red chillies, salt and sugar as per your taste.
- It can be stored for 5-7 days in a refrigerator.
- Enjoy the spicy red momo chutney with veg momos or any other momos of your choice.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’
Healthy Whole Wheat Veg Momos recipe : https://yoshitaskitchen.com/2020/04/14/healthy-whole-wheat-veg-momos/