Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Mug cakes are really very easy and quick way out to satisfy your sudden sweet tooth cravings. They are so easy to prepare that even your young kids will enjoy baking them all by themselves, mine do! My kids only prepared this mug cake.
- All you have to do is mix your dry ingredients in a mug, then add the wet ones and mix them well with a fork. And you are ready to bake it in microwave. Bake it on full power(900 W in my case) for 90 secs and your cake is ready!!
- Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Always take the ingredients in correct measurements i.e. your measuring cups or spoons should be levelled to the brim. Even a small variation in quantities will spoil the recipe. This is one of the most important thumb rules of baking.
- Make sure to use a microwave safe mug to bake this recipe.
- Many variations are possible with the same recipe. Here I have penned down the recipe of a rainbow mug cake, in which simply divide the cake batter into as many parts as you have the colours and then pour different colour batter randomly one over the other with a spoon and bake. There is no need to be perfect in pouring the coloured batters.
- I have used liquid food colours. You may add gel ones too.
- I have used salted butter. In case, you are using unsalted one, then do add 1/2 pinch of salt to the recipe.
- The same recipe can be used to prepare vanilla mug cake. Just don’t add the colours and bake. Chocolate mug cake can also be prepared from the same recipe. You just have to replace 1 tbsp of maida (all purpose flour) with 1 tbsp of cocoa powder (i.e. use 3 tbsp maida & 1 tbsp cocoa powder).
- You may add choco chips, confetti (sprinkles), nuts, tutti frutti, small chocolate pieces or even finely chopped fresh fruits in your mug cakes.
- Keep on experimenting to get a variety of mug cakes with the same recipe!
- Enjoy the mug cake hot with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
- All Purpose flour(Maida) – 4 tbsp
- Powdered Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1/16 tsp (1 pinch)
- Baking soda – 1/2 pinch
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Salted Butter – 1 tbsp
- Cream / Malai – 2 tbsp
- Vinegar / lemon juice – 1 drop
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Confetti(sprinkles) – 1 tsp
- Liquid Food colour(I have used 5 colours pink,blue,yellow,orange,green) – a drop each
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients except sprinkles well.
- Add the wet ingredients except liquid food colours to the dry mix and mix these well using a fork or a whisk. Finally add the confetti to the batter. Your basic cake batter is ready! You may experiment with it!
- To prepare vanilla mug cake, mix all these directly in a mug and bake.
- To prepare rainbow mug cake, you will have to divide the batter in 5 equal portions, mix a drop of each colour in separate bowl to prepare 5 different shades batter.
- Now pour 1/2 tsp of each colour batter one by one randomly in your mug and bake it in microwave on full power(900 W) for 90 seconds. The baking time varies with different wattage of microwave.
- Do check whether the cake is done or not by inserting a toothpick inside the cake. If it comes out clean, then it means your cake is done.
- Enjoy the super soft and delicious mug cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top!
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’