Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- This is a quick and easy to make healthy granola bar recipe. It has a delicious chewy texture and serves as a perfect healthy snack to munch on.
- The granola bars are a delicious way of consuming dates, oats, nuts and seeds.
- Oats, dates, peanut butter and honey make the base ingredients and you can customise the rest of the ingredients as per your choice to make these bars.
- Just make sure to keep the ratio of dry(oats,puffed rice,nuts and seeds) to wet(dates,peanut butter & honey) ingredients as 2.25 : 1 as done in this recipe.
- I have used all the nuts and seeds usually available at my home while preparing these bars. You may even add dried cranberries, shredded coconut, dried apricots, choco chips and so on- the list is endless.
- Always dry roast oats, puffed rice, nuts and seeds to get a better crunch and flavour.
- Many recipes call for heating peanut butter along with honey to liquify them before adding to dry ingredients. But as per ‘Ayurveda’, heating honey reduces its health quotient, so I have avoided doing so.
- I have used homemade peanut butter (link is there at the end of this blog) already having vanilla essence and rock salt in it. In case you are using a store bought one, look for the ingredients and add vanilla essence and salt to your recipe accordingly.
- I have used soft dates. In case you are using the hard ones, soak them for an hour in hot water and then grind them without using water.
- Flax seeds should not be consumed raw and whole. They should be roasted and powdered to avoid indigestion.
- Now comes the joyful mixing part which even your kids are gonna enjoy doing too!
- Always mix the dry ingredients in one big bowl and the wet ones in another bowl. Then add the wet mix to the big bowl having dry ingredients mix and combine them well and your granola bar mix is ready!
- Make sure to press down well your granola bar mixture in your tray using your wet fingers, or a spatula or even the base of a bowl or a glass. Just keep on pressing for a minute or two.
- Always make sure to line your tray with parchment paper or plastic sheet or even aluminium foil and grease it well. Else the bar mix will definitely stick to your tray ultimately ruining your recipe.
- Sprinkle some choco chips on the top of your pressed granola bar mix to make it more attractive for your kids.
- Make sure to refrigerate the granola bar mix for at least two hours to harden everything. This way it becomes easy to cut the prepared granola into bars.
Ingredients: (for approx. 24 bars of 3 inch X 1 inch avg. size)
- Rolled oats – 1.5 cup
- Puffed rice – 1/2 cup
- Dates – 1 cup
- Peanut butter – 1/4 cup (in case vanilla essence is not there in your peanut butter, then add 1/2 tsp of it to your bar recipe)
- Honey – 1/4 cup
- Almond, cashew – 1/4 cup each(roughly chopped)
- Walnuts(roughly chopped), Pistachio(roughly chopped), Sesame seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Melon seeds, Sunflower seeds – 2 tbsp each
- Flax seeds, Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp each
- Choco chips and pumpkin seeds – 1 tbsp (to garnish on top)
- Dry roast oats and flax seeds together for 3-4 minutes on low flame and grind them to powder. Dry roast puffed rice, all the nuts and seeds for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Grind the dates to a fine paste. Soak the dates, if using hard ones, in hot water for an hour before grinding to a fine paste without using water.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a big bowl or a ‘paraant’ (used for making dough in India).Mix the wet ingredients well in a separate small bowl. Add the wet mix to the dry mix and combine well using your hand or a spatula.
- Transfer the granola bar mix to a lined and greased tray. Press the mixture hard and smooth using your fingers or a spatula or even the base of a bowl or a glass. Both lining the tray and pressing the mix hard are the most important steps to get the best results.
- Sprinkle some choco chips and pumpkin seeds on the top and press them a bit. Cover the tray with parchment paper/plastic sheet/aluminium foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Finally remove the hardened granola onto a chopping board and cut it into bar shapes using a big knife or a pizza cutter.
- You may store these bars in an air tight container in your refrigerator for a longer shelf life.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’
Homemade Peanut Butter recipe : https://yoshitaskitchen.com/2020/03/21/easy-homemade-peanut-butter/