Few pointers to keep in mind before starting:
- To prepare crispy bread rolls, keep two things in mind. One, dip the bread pieces very little in water and tightly squeeze them to remove as much water as possible. Two, after you have shaped the rolls, keep them in open air for atleast 30 minutes and let them dry out to further reduce the water from the bread.
- I have used rock salt, being healthier than table salt, in the recipe. You may use table salt instead of it.
- I have used black pepper powder instead of red chilli powder. You may do otherwise. You may even increase the amount of green chillies as per your taste.
Ingredients: (For approx. 18 rolls)
- Brown Bread – 18 slices
- Potato – 6 (medium sized, boiled & mashed)
- Onion – 1 (medium sized, finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 1 (finely chopped)
- Green coriander leaves – finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- Rock salt – to taste (for stuffing) + 1/2 tsp (for lukewarm water)
- Black salt – 1/2 tsp
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchoor powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mix all the ingredients except bread to prepare stuffing.
- Take some lukewarm water in a broad container. Add 1/2 tsp rock salt to it.
- Dip bread slice a bit in lukewarm water. Do not dip it much and then squeeze as much water as possible from the bread slice. This will make the rolls crispier.
- Now place some stuffing in the middle. You may even remove the sides of the slice and place them in the middle alongwith the potato stuffing.
- Now shape your bread rolls in an oblong or round shape with light pressure. Keep these aside to dry out in air for atleast 30 minutes. This will further remove the water from the bread crust. The lesser the water in the bread crust, the crispier the rolls will turn out after frying.
- Finally, fry these in hot oil on medium flame. The flame should neither be low nor high while frying. Do not disturb the rolls much while frying. Just flip them over once when one side is completely fried, then fry the other side & finally remove them from fire.
- Enjoy them hot with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!’