Homemade pickles have no comparison when it comes to taste alongwith health quotient as compared to store bought ones. Also, no preservatives are added to homemade pickles and you can easily control the quantity of salt & oil. So in short, try using homemade pickles as much as you can.
This recipe is super easy to prepare, is super healthy, delicious at the same time and can be consumed instantly. It has a shelf life of a week only that too when kept in clean dry container in refrigerator.
A short recipe video of Instant Amla Pickle: https://youtu.be/4tZraex11xQ
Few Pointers to keep in mind before starting:
- Always use large sized green amla without any spots.
- Wash the amla and dry them with a clean and dry cloth only.
- Always store the pickle in a dry sterilised glass container.
- I use iron wok for preparing this pickle. Aluminium utensil should never be used for this.
- Keep this pickle in refrigerator, after it has cooled down to room temperature, for a longer shelf life.
- Fresh Amla – 250g
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Saunf (Fennel seeds) – 4 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wash the amlas properly and then dry them with a clean dry cloth.
- In an iron or steel heavy bottomed utensil, heat the oil. Put the flame on low and then add fennel seeds, turmeric powder, amlas and salt together.
- Keep the flame on low and keep on cooking amlas constantly flipping their sides from time to time till the amlas get soft enough that when you press them with a little bit of pressure with your spatula they break apart.
- The amla pickle is ready to be consumed.
- Let it cool down to room temperature before storing it in a dry sterilised glass jar.
- Keep the pickle in refrigerator for a longer shelf life.
- You may even add green chillies alongwith amla while cooking.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love !’