Few pointers to keep in mind before starting:
- Tiramisu is a famous Italian dessert which literally means ‘pick me up’. And it is really so yummy that no one can stop oneself from picking it up.
- The recipe calls for ‘mascarpone cheese’ which is a must and is as easy to prepare at home as is cottage cheese. Mascarpone cheese should not be replaced with any other so called substitute as it won’t do full justice to the recipe.
- You may either use low fat cream or heavy cream for this recipe. I have used Amul whipping cream having 35% fat.
- The authentic recipe uses lady finger biscuits but as a substitute I have used Britannia rusk. You may even use sponge cake for this recipe as base.
- Chocolate shavings, used in this recipe, can be prepared by grating chocolate using vegetable peeler.
For Mascarpone cheese: (200g)
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 300 ml
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
For Tiramisu: (for 9 X 9 inches dish)
- Rusk – 24 no. approx.
- Mascarpone cheese – 200g
- Heavy whipping Cream – 250 ml
- Icing sugar – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Coffee powder – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- sugar – 1 tbsp
- Cocoa powder – 3 tbsp
- Chocolate shavings – to garnish
For mascarpone cheese:
- Either take a heavy bottomed non stick pan or a heavy bottomed steel pan or a double boiler. I took a heavy bottomed steel pan as I am totally against non-stick cookware and greased my pan with some clarified butter so that the cream does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Now boil the cream in your pan on medium flame. As soon as it comes to a boil, add fresh lime juice to it. Switch the flame to low heat. Keep on reducing and stirring it for another 10 to 15 minutes till the cream starts coating the surface of your spatula.
- It will not curdle like the cottage cheese does. It will only be reduced.
- Switch off the flame and place the pan over ice cold water and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Take a cheese cloth, place it over a big strainer. Place the strainer, having cheese cloth in it, over a steel container. Now pour the reduced cream over this cheese cloth, tie the cheese cloth.
- Keep this in the refrigerator alongwith the strainer and steel container for at least 12 hours to strain any liquid left in the cream. Finally the mascarpone cheese is ready and can be used.
- Whip the heavy cream till soft peaks are developed. Then add 1/4 cup of icing sugar to it and whip till stiff peaks are developed. Keep it aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of icing sugar to mascarpone cheese and whip it using electric beater till sugar is mixed properly.
- Now mix the whipped cream, sweetened mascarpone cheese and vanilla essence together lightly. Do not over mix these. This makes your cream filling.
- To prepare coffee concoction, boil 1 cup water, add 1 tbsp coffee powder and 1 tbsp sugar to it. Mix these well and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Now take a 9″ X 9″ dish. Dip the rusk pieces in coffee concoction one by one and keep on placing these in the dish as your bottom layer. Over this rusk layer, spread half of your mascarpone cheese & cream filling. This makes first layer of tiramisu. Repeat layering with rusk and cream filling to make second layer of tiramisu.
- Now take cocoa powder in a small strainer and sprinkle it all over the second layer generously.
- Over the cocoa powder, sprinkle the chocolate shavings.
- Cover the dish with a lid or foil and refrigerate it for a minimum of 5 hrs. It gives the best flavours after 8 – 10 hours of refrigeration.
- Serve it cool.
‘Cooking for our loved ones with love!!’