Few pointers to make it a special one :
- Adding beetroot not only adds to the health quotient but also adds natural red colour to your bhaji.
- For adding that extra zing to your pav, toast them in a mix of melted butter, few coriander leaves and a little bhaji for a minute or so on hot tava.
- Butter is a must for this recipe. You may increase its quantity from that mentioned in the recipe but in no case reduce it. The more the butter, the tastier the recipe.
- Adding kasoori methi (crushed in the palms) and fresh coriander leaves to the bhaji while cooking it makes it more delicious.
Ingredients : (serves 3-4 persons)
For Bhaji :
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pav bhaji masala – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 50g
- Tomato – 3 no. (medium)
- Carrot – 1 no.
- Potato – 3 no. (medium)
- Green peas – 1/4 cup
- Beetroot – 1 no.
- Onion – 2 no. (medium)
- Capsicum – 1 no. (medium)
- Coriander leaves – 3 to 4 Tbsp
- Green chillies – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Kasoori methi – 1tsp
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
For Pav :
- Pav buns
- Coriander leaves
For garnishing :
- Chopped Onion – 1tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1tsp
- Lemon wedges
- Chop all the vegetables including tomato, carrot, potato, beetroot, onion, capsicum, green chillies and coriander leaves & keep them aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds, 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala. Roast it for a few seconds & then add the chopped veggies including tomato, carrot, potato, green peas and beetroot. Add salt & 1 cup of water, mix these and pressure cook on high flame for 2 whistles and then on low flame for 2 minutes. Then switch off the flame and keep this aside for the pressure to subside.
- In a large wok/pan, heat 1tbsp oil with 25g butter. Add chopped capsicum, onions and salt in it. Cook these together on high flame till the onions turn pinkish. Then add 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala, chopped coriander leaves, kasoori methi(crushed within palms), kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste & chopped green chillies and cook these for a few minutes on high flame. Then add boiled veggies from the pressure cooker to this masala along with the water in the cooker and let it simmer for few minutes before mashing these with a potato masher. Add the rest of 25g butter and 1 tsp of lemon juice to the bhaji while mashing it and let it cook for few minutes on low flame. You may add some water to adjust the consistency of bhaji. Switch off the flame and your bhaji is ready.
- Garnish the bhaji with chopped onions, coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- Slit the pav horizontally, take 1 tsp of butter on hot tava. Add some chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 tsp of bhaji to the butter, mix these and toast the pav in this masala.
- Serve these masala toasted pavs with hot bhaji with love.
Cooking for our loved ones with love !!!