Few things to keep in mind before starting:
- Always use thicker variety of gramflour to make crunchy besan laddus.
- Use desi khand instead of the normal sugar to the recipe to make a healthier version.
- You may add as many variety of dry fruits as you like including pistachios, almonds, cashews, raisins, melon seeds etc.
- With lesser amount of desi ghee too, you can prepare the laddus. I have used Besan, Desi khand & Desi ghee in the ratio of 1 : 0.5 : 0.25. This ratio resulted in perfect lightly sweetened laddus.
- Always use iron kadhai for roasting besan instead of steel or aluminium one for that health quotient.
- Always roast besan on low flame stirring continuously. It will take approximately 50 minutes to roast it fully but your patience and love is going to be the key to prepare perfectly roasted, melt in mouth laddus.
- Thick Besan – 3 cup
- Desi Ghee – 3/4 cup
- Desi khand – 1.5 cup
- Edible Gum – 50g
- Cardamoms – 12 to 15 (powdered)
- Almonds – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 1/4 cup
- Slightly blend the edible gum in a blender and keep it aside.
- Slightly blend the dry fruits or you may powder them too in case you are preparing laddus for kids and keep them aside.
- Now add ghee to your iron kadhai & let it melt. Then add thick besan to it and roast it on low flame, continuously stirring it. You can feel the aroma of roasted besan when it is done.
- When besan is approximately 80% roasted, then add crushed edible gum to it and roast it alongwith besan for a few minutes till the gums starts popping up.
- It will take approximately 50 minutes to roast the besan fully. The besan will start releasing ghee & will start leaving the sides of the kadhai when it is done.
- Switch off the flame. And add the crushed / powdered dry fruits alongwith the cardamom powder to the besan. They will get roasted in the hot besan by themselves.
- Remove the besan mixture from the kadhai and let it cool down in a big container.
- When the mixture has cooled down to room temperature, then add desi khand to it and mix it properly by rubbing the mix in between your palms for a few minutes.
- Finally make laddus of the mix. With this recipe you may prepare around 35 laddus of approximately 1.5 inches dia each. You may make smaller or larger laddus as per your choice.
Cooking for the loved ones with love !